This program is designed for professionals who would like to know more about Theraplay because they are considering adding Theraplay to their practice, refer others for treatment, or work with others using Theraplay. It is suitable for graduate students and professors as well as practicing clinicians.
6 CPD hours
Learning objectives for this seminar:
- Describe the history and basic assumptions of Theraplay using the Core Concepts model
- Describe the four dimensions of Theraplay: Structure, Nurture, Engagement and Challenge
- Describe how the Marschak Interaction Method is used for assessment and treatment planning
- Demonstrate Theraplay activities for each of the dimensions
- Explain how parents are involved in treatment
- Name three client populations that can benefit from Theraplay treatment
Special features of this training:
- The training includes interactive sessions to practice a variety of Theraplay activities
- You will see video examples of several Theraplay clients
“Thank you again for such a lovely, fun, and informative workshop yesterday ! Thought I will share a special moment with you ….. I saw a little boy and his mum today and mum has previously mentioned how disconnected she feels from him and just not sure how to engage with him. I then asked her to sit on the floor with me and started with the nurturing cotton ball “game” and she gently started joining in until I asked her to take over from me. To watch these two connect today was just such a beautiful moment. Mum started tearing up and said that it was the closest she has ever felt to her little boy and how slow-motion it felt just to connect with him ! Just beautiful !
Theraplay principles fit in so beautifully with how I view our holistic approach in my practice and how important engagement, connecting and tuning in to families and their children continue to be 🙂 ” Speech Pathologist Participant, 2017.