Level One Theraplay & MIM is a four-day training designed to teach the basics for participants to begin using Theraplay techniques in their work with existing and new clients. Clinicians who work with traumatized children, children with severe attachment issues, or very complicated family situations should plan on taking additional training or receiving supervision before using Theraplay with these clients. Beginners should use Theraplay techniques first with less complicated cases.
Note: Occasionally other trainings such as Group Theraplay are offered in conjunction with this training.
26 CPD hours
Learning Objectives for Level One Theraplay & MIM:
- Administer the MIM and analyze it at a beginning level
- Conduct feedback sessions with parents based upon the MIM analysis
- Use the MIM as a guideline for Theraplay treatment planning
- Observe demonstrations of Theraplay treatment and techniques
- Practice Theraplay activities in dyads
- Identify the types of behaviors that require a particular dimension
- Utilize the four Theraplay dimensions to treat the specific needs of a child
- Describe how Theraplay is applied to meet the needs of children with behavior problems, foster and adopted children, children with ASD, and older children
- Describe how to guide parents to participate in a Theraplay treatment session
Special Features of this training:
- Using video, we feature demonstration of treatment of a real client family including the MIM assessment, feedback to the parents and several Theraplay sessions
- Attendance is limited to no more than 30 so that you’ll have a chance to get your questions answered
- We require one trainer for every ten participants to help make the experience as personal and rewarding as possible
- The training is interactive, intense and practical—you’ll leave with the knowledge and skills to begin using Theraplay in your work
- It features video of Theraplay treatment with many different clients in addition to the demonstration family
- The training includes interactive sessions to practice a variety of Theraplay activities
- The training concludes with the creation of a treatment plan for one of your own clients and a chance to practice it for feedback
“We want to thank you so much for the amazing experience this week doing theraplay, its been such applied and tangible training we are all set to start using some of the skills we learnt.
I was so eager to get stuck in I used my theraplay skills with all 3 young people I met today, one was a first appointment (just starting my assessment). I even plucked up the courage to feed him and sang the crunch crunch song and did rock-a-bye with the carer, it was incredible! I even used moisturiser with my other kids today doing nurturing activities- checking for hurts and studying hands- this was so powerful! I also did the hand stack, slippery slip, hand tracing and feet tracing! It feels like the most effective I’ve ever been in this role! I wish I had this training years ago. So very grateful for this opportunity.” Mental Health Social Worker participant, 2017.